Junior Systems Engineer
- Opportunity to do important work that matters
- Boutique telecommunications company
- Join a high functioning, technically capable team
REANNZ own and operate a high-speed, high-performance network and associated services for local and global research, education, science and innovation communities. Their network facilitates and supports collaboration in research across areas such as climate change, earthquake research, genomics, engineering and Māori and Pasifika research.
As part of the Systems and Development Team, you will be responsible for contributing to on premise and cloud-based systems design and development. Key aspects of your role will include:
- Automation and administration of our Linux servers using Ansible
- Configuration and administration of our SaaS products
- Day to day support for our Apple desktop fleet
- Software development in Python that delivers automation and standardisation
- Development and maintenance of documentation
- Technical evaluation, risk analysis and solutions development
- Involvement in projects to optimise performance, create efficiencies and improve service delivery to the REANNZ community
- Build and maintain effective working relationships internally and externally with suppliers, vendors and partners
This position would suit someone with a couple of years’ software development experience who is ready for the next step. You will be a curious, self-starter who is energetic, positive and excited by technology. Your technical experience will be in Linux and cloud-based systems as well as automation tools appropriate for a mixed on-premise, cloud based environment. In addition, you will ideally have exposure to modern networking and security technologies and an understanding of carrier grade networks. Ideally your experience will be supported by a relevant tertiary qualification. Attitude, mindset and your approach to technical challenges matters most of all. Consideration will also be given to applicants who may not tick all the boxes but can demonstrate a willingness to close the skills gaps.
This position can be based in either Wellington or Christchurch.
Work with some of the best technical minds in the business, develop your career and help enable science and research to make a positive difference to our future environment, planet, health, and way of life.